The fill command allows you to fill the world with multiple blocks at the same time.
Here are some examples that will fill blocks immediately to the South East (SE) of where you are standing:
- fill ~0 ~0 ~0 - Fill the block immediately to the South East (SE) of me with dirt.
- fill ~0 ~0 ~0 gold - Fill the block with gold.
- fill ~0 ~0 ~0 air - Remove the block.
- fill ~0 ~0 ~0 ~2 ~0 ~2 silver - Fill 9 blocks with silver.
- fill ~0 ~0 ~0 ~2 ~2 ~2 bronze - Fill 27 blocks with bronze.
- fill ~0 ~0 ~0 ~2 ~2 ~2 air - Remove 27 blocks.
The ~ symbol means "relative to where I am standing now". Learn more about relative and absolute world coordinates here.
Filling multiple blocks
When you use fill with three numbers you will fill one block only.
When you use fill with six numbers you will fill multiple blocks.
The first three numbers are the x, y, z coordinates from where to start filling and the last three numbers are the x, y, z coordinates of where to end filling.
The following example fills from x=0 to x=2 and from z=0 to z=2. The y coordinate starts and ends with 0.
- fill ~0 ~0 ~0 ~2 ~0 ~2 silver - Fill 9 blocks with silver in a 3x3 square area and 1 level high.
The following example fills from x=0 to x=2, from y=0 to y=1 and from z=0 to z=2.
- fill ~0 ~0 ~0 ~2 ~1 ~2 silver - Fill 18 blocks with silver in a 3x3 square area and 2 levels high.
The following example fills from x=0 to x=2, from y=0 to y=5 and from z=0 to z=2.
- fill ~0 ~0 ~0 ~2 ~5 ~2 silver - Fill 54 blocks with silver in a 3x3 square area and 6 levels high.
You will notice that the number of blocks filled in any direction is always one more than the difference between the start and end coordinates.
Running a sequence of commands
You can run a sequence of commands to do more sophisticated building. You can copy and paste your sequences to another document (such as Word or Google Docs) in order to save them or share them with friends.
Below is a floor plan for a simple 5x5 house with a doorway. The floor plan shows the coordinates of key blocks:
The following sequence of commands builds this simple house:
- Clear a 7x5x7 area of blocks
- Fill a 5x4x5 area in the middle with stone blocks
- Clear a 3x3x3 area in the middle
- Remove two more blocks, one above another, to create a doorway
- Remove three more blocks to create windows
fill ~1 ~0 ~1 ~5 ~3 ~5 wall_stone_grey_light
fill ~2 ~0 ~2 ~4 ~2 ~4 air
fill ~1 ~0 ~3 air
fill ~1 ~1 ~3 air
fill ~3 ~1 ~1 air
fill ~3 ~1 ~5 air
fill ~5 ~1 ~3 air
Face the SE direction in the world, open the command panel, copy and paste this sequence into it and click "Go". Hey presto, your house is built!
You can now build lots of small houses like this all over your world.
Here are a couple of more sophisticated models from the blockerzz game that you can try: